Dr Michael Smith
Michael has been a Research Fellow or Visiting Fellow at ANU since 2006 at the ANU Fenner School of Environment and Society and the ANU Climate Change Institute. Michael also co-founded and was Research Director of the award winning Natural Edge Project (TNEP) (2002-2009) working with Dr Charlie Hargoves, Associate Professor Cheryl Desha, Dr Peter Stasinopoulos, who are co-authors of many of the works featured below. Michael is lead-co-author or co-author of 200+ co-authored publications, education and training resources and Government web portals on sustainable development, green growth, sustainable design, corporate sustainability, sustainable engineering, climate change mitigation and adaptation, sustainable cities, water sensitive urban design, and industry sector sustainability strategies. He has co-developed numerous online education and training resources over the last decade which are designed to help both busy educators update their curricula and also provide additional adult self directed learning for students and practitioners. As a result of this, he has an H-Index of 17, an i10 Index of 18, a ResearchGate Score of >18 (with over 15,000 reads), and has ~1000 citations since 2012 (Google Scholar). He is also ranked in the top 1% on the Academia.Edu platform. He has made a contribution for over 10 years as recognised by the fact that he and his TNEP colleagues (Dr Hargroves, Assoc. Prof Desha, Dr Stasinopoulos, Nick Palousis) won the Prime Minister's Banksia Award for Leadership in Sustainability Education and Training in 2005. In 2001 he also helped co-found the Australian Campuses Towards Sustainability Network. In addition, he has served on numerous education for sustainability and capacity building initiatives, panels, taskforces and projects. His full co-authored works are available from ResearchGate (https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Michael_Smith119) and Academia.Edu (https://anu-au.academia.edu/DrMichaelSmith). He also shares globally these co-authored works with 20,000+ high level decision makers/educators to ensure they are widely utilised and have high impact via LinkedIn, (https://www.linkedin.com/in/drmichaelharrisonsmith/), Twitter (https://twitter.com/DrMHSmith) and finally via a professional Facebook Sustainability/Climate Change Educational Resources/News page @ (https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=619439338).
- 1a.Smith, M (2015) Doubling Energy & Resource Productivity by 2030 - Transitioning to a Low Carbon Future through Sustainable Energy and Resource Management (Game Changing Report)
- 1b Sadler, A. Jutsen, J. Smith, M. Pears, A et al (2014-2015) Doubling Energy Producitivty by 2030 - Technical Report and Sector Discussion Papers (4 reports) -Australian Alliance to Save Energy and Partners
- 1c Energy Productivity Primer - You Tube Educational Resource - Jonathan Jutsen and Michael Smith on Energy Productivity - ANU Energy Green Paper Forum (15/9/2014)
- 2a Energy & Resource Productivity Textbook - von Weizsäcker, E., Hargroves, K., Smith, M., Desha, C. and Stasinopoulos, P. (2009) Factor 5: Transforming the Global Economy through 80% Increase in Resource Productivity, Routledge, UK and Droemer, Germany.
- 2b. UNEP International Resource Panel Flagship report (2014) Decoupling Economic Growth from Energy and Resource Consumption: Technologies, Opportunities and Policy
- 2c UNEP International Resource Panel Report (2016) Options for Decoupling Economic Growth from Water Use and Water Pollution
- 3a Green Growth/Energy& Resource Productivity- Smith, M., Hargroves, K., and Desha, C. (2010) Cents and Sustainability: Securing Our Common Future by Decoupling Economic Growth from Environmental Pressures, Routledge, London
- 3b Business/Innovation & Energy and Resource Productivity Textbook - Hargroves, K. and Smith, M.(eds) (2005) The Natural Advantage of Nations: Business Opportunities, Innovation and Governance in the 21st Century, Routledge, London
- 4a Rissik, D. Smith, M. (2015) Guidance Report on Adaptation for Investors – Investor Group on Climate Change, Griffith University and ANU.
- 4b. Smith, M (2014) Investor and Business Leader Guides - Assessing Climate Change Risks and Opportunities - by Business Sector (Mining, Oil and Gas, Manufacturing, Property and Construction). Investor Group on Climate Change and ANU
- 4c Smith. M, Stasinopoulos, P - Carbon Skills Ed Modules - Climate Risk, Adaptation & Mitigation Opportunity Assessment by Business Sectors - Mining, Oil&Gas, Manufacturing, Food&Beverage, Product Manufacturing, Construction&Property. Dept of Education
- 4d Book Chapter - Smith, M. & Dyer, G. (2015) Strategies to Mainstream Climate Change, Energy, Water and Food Security Nexus in Pittock, J. Hussey, K. Dovers, S., (2015) Climate Change, Energy, Water Nexus. CUP
- 5. Energy Efficiency Resources for Undergraduate Engineering (2015) - Toolkit for Engineering Educators - Educators Guide + 10 Teaching Modules. Department of Industry Smith,M. Stasinopoulos, P. Compston, P. Browne, C. Lobovstov, M (2015)
- 6a. Energy Efficiency Teaching Resource (2015) - COAG Energy Efficiency Exchange web portal - Energy Efficiency by Business Sector and Technology Teaching Resource
- 6b Sustainable Design Online and Hardcopy Textbook - Stasinopoulos, P., Smith, M., Hargroves, K. and Desha, C. (2008) Whole System Design: An Integrated Approach to Sustainable Engineering, Routledge, UNESCO & World Federation of Engineering Organisations
- 7a. Energy Transformed:Sustainable Energy Solutions for Climate Change Mitigation - Online Textbook - 30 Teaching and Learning Modules, CSIRO, GU, ANU, TNEP Smith, M. Hargroves, K. Stasinopoulos, P et al (2007)
- 7b Water Transformed - Sustainable Water Solutions to Adapt to Climate Change - 20 Teaching and Learning Modules. Smith, M. Hargroves, K. Desha. C. Stasinopoulos. P (2010) Department of Climate Change&EE, TNEP, GU, ANU,
- 7c Sustainable IT online Course: Reducing Carbon Footprint and Materials Waste in the IT Environment, Stasinopoulos, P., Hargroves, K., Smith, M., Desha, C. and Hargroves, S. (2008) The Natural Edge Project (TNEP), Australia
- 7d E-Waste Education Online Courses, Hargroves, K., Stasinopoulos, P., Desha, C. and Smith, M. (2007)The Natural Edge Project, Australia. (TNEP)
- 7e Introduction to Sustainable Development for Engineering and Built Environment Professionals - 12 Online Lectures Smith, M., Hargroves, K., Desha, C. and Palousis, N. (2007) UNESCO, Engineers Australia, The Natural Edge Projec
- 7f Principles&Practices in Sustainable Development for the Engineering & Built Environment Professions - 12 Online Lectures, UNESCO, EA, TNEP
- 7g Desha, C., Hargroves, K., Smith, M. and Stasinopoulos, P. (2008) Sustainability Education for High Schools: Year 10-12 - Subject Supplements, The Natural Edge Project, Australia.
- 8a Smith, M et al (2013) Sustainable Development and Security - Investing in Sustainable Security: business leadership in a world of strategic risk and opportunity (2013) National Business Leaders Forum for SD & ANU
- 8b Smith, M et al (2011) Business Leadership in the New Global Innovation Economy - the Race is On - Report from the 2011 National Business Leaders Forum for SD
- 8c Smith, M. (2010) Achieving the Great Transition: Growing the low carbon economy in the Asia Pacific + Business Consensus Statement on Climate Change Policy for Australia - 2010 Report of the National Business Leaders Forum for SD
- 9a Peak Industry Group - Sustainability Frameworks and Action Plans - Australian Plastics and Chemicals Industry Association
- 9b Peak Industry Group - Australian Plantations, Timber and Paper Products Sustainability Action Plan. A3P
- 9c Peak Industry Groups - Australian Council for Infrastructure Development (2003) - Sustainability Framework
- 9d Universities and Sustainability - ACF Tela Paper on Universities and Susteainability
- Research Fellow at Australian National University